Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Changing Eye Chips


Nearly everyone who buys a Blythe will at some point contemplate customising, and eye chip changing is one of the easier and less permanent things you can do. Please excuse Holly's bangs in this shot, she's just been through drastic eye surgery and is looking a little the worse for wear.

I have to confess that I am not a fan of the pink and orange chips. I mean seriously, apart from albinos, who has pink eyes? And orange? No wonder the kids in the 70's thought Blythe was majorly creepy. So shortly after I bought Holly, I made my first Blythe purchase - cute new eyechips from this Etsy seller http://www.etsy.com/shop/erinnlee. I bought two pairs, brown and green. It took me ages to work up the courage, but finally I changed the orange pair to green. I must confess, it was harder than I thought it would be. I used the glue-stick method and although it did work, it took several goes to get the last chip out (I was getting a bit panicky thinking that she'd be stuck with one green eye and one orange!). I'm pretty happy with the result! I am liking the realistic chips so much I'm considering ordering another pair in grey/blue to swap out the side facing greens.

Things I've learned from my so far from my brief customising experience - the gas cooktop heats up the gluestick very hot, very fast! Don't let the end of the gluestick get too melty - it runs everywhere and you'll be in for a scary time trying to stop it from getting all over your girl's eyeball. Let the glue "cure" for a while before attempting removal or it just pops right off without the chip. And finally, you have to pull and twist, not just twist or you will have to make many many attempts and say a lot of bad words.

I still have yet to change the brown chips so when I do I'll be sure to take photos of the process, not just the after pic! Hopefully someone will be able to learn from my mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment